Tahini + Honey Cookies
Makes 18 cookies
110g butter softened (I like salted, but personal preference)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup tahini
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
100g dark chocolate chopped (or chips)
sesame seeds to roll
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the honey and tahini in a bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture until creamy and heavenly.
- Add the butter and whisk until smooth.
- Sift in the spelt flour + bicarb soda
- Get your hands in their + combine mixture, add in choc
- Prepare a bowl of sesame seeds
- Roll spoonfuls of dough into balls.Dip into sesame seeds
- Place onto prepared trays. Leave some space between each ball, to allow room to spread.
- Use a fork to flatten each ball
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until lightly golden
- Allow them to cool on wire rack (or dont!)
You want the dough to be play-dough like, and rollable into balls. If it’s too wet you may have overmixed, and mixture has become too warm. If not too warm add a little bit of extra spelt flour and get roll’n.
I make my own dark choc and then chop, raw choc will be a little messier, so make sure you chop into small pieces.
I prefer spelt flour to regular wheat flour, as it is easier to digest; so many people who are more sensitive to gluten can in fact tolerate spelt.